The apparent difference between Subaru Impreza Vs Outback is the size. Subaru Impreza has a great interior room, yet, is a small car.
On the other hand, Subaru Outback is a midsize crossover. The lineup of Subaru has amazing vehicles, and it is one of the leading industries ensuring value and safety.
Subaru vehicles feature exceptional varieties that picking one is difficult. Each vehicle has its pros, and driving a Subaru means specific needs are taken care of.
In this article, you will know, which Subaru Outback do you need to avoid as well as what is the best Subaru Impreza WRX STI.
Table of Contents
- Subaru Impreza vs Outback: Difference Between Subaru Impreza and Outback
- Subaru Impreza Generations
- Subaru Outback Generations
- Subaru Impreza Specifications
- Subaru Outback Specifications
- Highlighted Features of the Subaru Impreza
- Highlighted Features of the Subaru Outback
- Price Ranges for Impreza & Outback
- Impreza vs Outback: Pros & Cons
- WH (FAQs) Questions about Subaru Impreza vs Outback
- Why is Subaru Impreza a good car?
- What are some of the Subaru’s common issues?
- What is the best year of Subaru models?
- Which year did Subaru face problems with the head gasket?
- Which Subaru model is the best to purchase?
- What is the reason that even used Subarus are expensive?
- What are the Subaru Outback worst years?
- Which is the fastest Subaru?
- Which is the year to avoid the Subaru Outback?
- Why buy a Subaru?
- What is special with Subaru to make it a preferred choice?
Subaru Impreza vs Outback: Difference Between Subaru Impreza and Outback
Subaru Impreza Generations
Subaru Impreza is prominent for its all-wheel-drive system and pursues the heritage of rally racing. It has a five-door hatchback and a four-door sedan.
The automaker has two turbocharged Impreza versions, the WRX and STI, besides a crossover style known as Crosstrek.
- 2017 is the 5th Generation– present Subaru. It received a major overhaul, and the platform announced a refined ride quality, revised suspension, 100% rigidity, and low gravity center. The lineup now has a 2.0i base, Sport, Premium, and Limited.
- 2014-2016 is the 4th Generation- Subaru Impreza. This generation had a 2.0-liter engine 148 hp with five-speed manual transmission or Lineartronic CVT with a six-speed manual paddle-shifting mode. There is a 65/35 split and cargo space of 52.4 cubic feet.
- 2007-2014 is the 3rd Generation- It replaced the wagon’s small variant with a hatchback having five-door. They added window frames vibration and noise were reduced. The car was wider and longer. It was a five-speed standard manual car, and optional was the automatic four-speed car.
- 2000-2007 is the 2nd Generation-This generation was available in Wagon, Sedan, and Outback Sport versions. It had a five-speed manual paired or four-speed automatic.
- 1992-2000 is the 1st Generation- Offered as all-wheel and front-wheel-drive in the five or four-door sedan. In 1997, Impreza went for an external makeover and gave an interior update, and in 1998, they dropped the base engine of 1.8 liters.
Subaru Outback Generations
Subaru Outback is a dominating force and has friendly adventures. Here is the list of generations:
- 2015-Now is the 5th Generation- Having Subaru Outback models with more safety features, space, higher-quality materials, better infotainment, and there is the adventurous spirit to break the 90s mold. Thus, it evolves into a lovely spectacular vehicle.
- 2010-2014 is the 4th Generation-There is much horsepower and has a new 3.6L engine. It also has a variable automatic transmission. The Outback continues with the growth trend, offering passengers enough space and cargo with ground clearance.
- 2005-2010 is the 3rd Generation- Outback that was larger, lighter, and was on a new platform with a 5L turbocharged engine. It cranked the performance.
- 2000-2004 is the 2nd Generation-It is a unique vehicle that is more spacious, longer, and wider. It is powerful, presenting an all-wheel robust drive system and beefier engine.
- 1995-1999 is the 1st Generation- Outback with a 2.2L four cylindrical horizontal engine moved to a a5L engine. The all-wheel drive in the starting was standard and in 1996 it was revamped to look like an SUV with enough ground clearance of 7.8 inches.
Subaru Impreza Specifications
- Engine- The Subaru Impreza features a petrol engine and also has a manual transmission. It is the 4-door type with a 5-seater and power steering. The Subaru Impreza has a Petrol engine of 2122 cc featuring manual transmission. However, the Impreza mileage depends on the fuel and variant type. The fuel tank capacity is 55.0, and it is a Sedan. The maximum power is 100- 280ps. The drive type is AWD/FF, and fuel consumption is 15-20km/L.
- Safety system– Subaru Impreza offers child seat anchors and rear door child safety locks. 2 headrests in the front and 3 in the rear. Dusk sensing headlamps, pre and post-collision safety system, accident avoidance lane departure warning system, dual front airbags side-mounted, and airbags for the front and rear heads.
- Interiors– Subaru Impreza dashboard features central displays, multimedia function with lower touchscreen. The seats have leather covers, and certain variants have armrests. The AWD2-0i variant features a Black or Ivory cloth seat, while the 2.0i-L variants feature premium cloth seats in Ivory or Black, and the leather accented seats feature 2.0i-S AWD in Ivory or Black.
Subaru Outback Specifications
- Engine- Subaru Outback offers a 182 hp four-cylinder 2.5 ltr engine suitable for all types of driving situations. The Outback has a punchy poser and ensures quicker acceleration. The engines come with variable automatic transmission. The mileage is estimated in the city at 26mpg and on the highway at 33 mpg with a base engine. The upgraded turbocharged engine drop mpg in the city and highway driving by 3.
- Safety system- Subaru Outback assures five stars in overall safety. The side and frontal side crash tests offer a good rating. The Outback has the crash prevention best systems. There is the rearview camera, adaptive cruise control, rear-seat reminder, lane departure warning, forward collision warning, reverse automatic braking, blind-spot monitoring, driver distraction monitoring, and so on.
- Interiors- Subaru Outback edition has upgraded off-road settings, front-view camera, water-repellent leather upholstery, and exterior and interior design elements. The higher versions have a heated steering wheel, moonroof, and navigation features.
Highlighted Features of the Subaru Impreza
Subaru Impreza Vs Outback both have highlighted features, and to begin with, are the Subaru Impreza features:
- Essentials include a six-way driver’s seat manually adjustable and four-way passenger front seat, manually adjustable, air conditioning, keyless energy, power side mirrors, and electronic cruise control. Premium models include headlights auto on and off, heated front seats, transmission paddle shifters, and a USB port as additional in the front.
- Driver assistance features include pre-collision throttle management, pre-collision braking, sway warning, lane departure warning, and lane-keep assist.
- The sport models receive alloy pedal covers, push-button start, sport cloth upholstery, LCD color display in 4.2 inches, and leather-wrapped steering wheel.
- The luxury features include automatic climate control, driver’s seat power-adjustable, blind spot detection, high-beam assist, rear cross-traffic alert, change assist, and reverse automatic braking.
- Vehicle dynamics control sensors detecting the steering wheel position, wheel speed, and lateral acceleration. These sensors trigger and take you on the right path as per the intended direction.
- Safety is the priority for Subaru Impreza, and it features 4 sensor/4 channels, an anti-lock braking system, and wheel-specific speed sensors. It evenly distributes force, ensuring optimal braking.
- There is a split fold-down of 60/40, ensuring plentiful space for the luggage and passengers to accommodate. There are power door locks and windows. Driving steady ensures fuel efficiency.
Highlighted Features of the Subaru Outback
- The standard features of the Subaru Outback rim include adjustable seats manually, automatic climate control, adaptive cruise control, and automatic headlights.
- There is keyless access, heated rear seats, power adjustment in front seats, auto-dimming rearview mirror, and hands-free power tailgate.
- There is a touring option giving a power sunroof, heated steering wheel, and ventilated front seats. However, the touring models have driver attention warning with a front camera having180-degree as additional.
- All the models have a driver-assist suite with pre-collision auto-braking, lane-keep assist, lane departure warning, blind-spot monitoring, reverse automatic braking.
- There are two infotainment setups. The base type includes top unit handling radio, dual touchscreens, button operating climate controls, and infotainment duties. The other model has a Starlink infotainment system of 11.6 inches as optional pairing a few physical controls for volume, temperature, raido tuning, and a massive touchscreen.
- The design of the Starlink system makes the response time faster. There are a few controls such as fan speed settings and navigation is on all the touring trims. It allows getting access to Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. The lower trims feature a four-speaker audio system. While the audio system is moderate even of the six-speaker. The Harman Kardon surround-sound system with 12 speakers brings a decent punch with 572 watts on audiophiles.
Price Ranges for Impreza & Outback
Subaru Impreza price ranges are:
- 2007 WRX (awd)- $15,990.
- 1999 WRX STI Verzion VI- $ 82,990
- 2017 2.0L(awd) – $21990
- 2017 2.01 Premium(awd)- $ 26,990
- 2018 2.0IS-(awd)- $26888
- 2017 2.9L (awd)- $23,880
- 2009 RX (awd)- $13990
- 2014 2.0I-L (awd)- $16990
- 2014 2.0I (awd)- $ 13999
- 2018 2.0I-L (awd)- $23998
- 2020 2.0I Premium (awd)- $31888
Subaru Outback price ranges of 2021are:
- Base model $28351
- Premium $32,449
- Limited $ 37,569
- Only X Edition XT $ 38,919
- Touring $39,424
- Limited XT $39, 924
- Touring XT $42,036
Starting at $28351, Subaru Outback in the wagon class is the lowest starting price. The touring XT variant starts at $39, 945 and is one of the affordable wagons in the base trims.
Impreza vs Outback: Pros & Cons
- Top-Notch safety- Subaru Impreza offers driver assist technology and prioritizes the safety of passengers. The high-tech features include improved driving technology in braking, acceleration, and steering operations. The system recognizes lanes and other vehicles.
- Easy parking- The front and rearview camera installation ensures easy parking. Drivers can see the car on the LCD screen. The mirrors automatically tilt as the car is reversing. It enables visually checking the rear wheels and preventing from making errors. Thus, the vehicle is free from scratches and dents.
- Better visibility- Great cushions feature sturdy windshields. The expansive rear windshield and the windows provide a view of the road to the driver. It features adaptive beam headlights to adjust the road condition. The visibility features ensure passengers keep their eyes on the road.
- Eye-catching design- The Impreza has an eye-catching design in the 2020 model, but in 2022 massive change is expected. Subaru exterior features are eye-catching with its front fascia and stretch over the bumper, with an L shape chrome look and a new grille. There is an invigorating facelift with tweaked lights. The maneuverability is perfect due to the size and is suitable for long getaways and city driving.
- Responsive voice controls- The Impreza easily adapts to voice commands. The radio, audio, and connected phone command is sure to respond with the Impreza system hooked. The infotainment system is equipped with Apple CarPlay, Bluetooth, and Android Auto ensures passengers stay connected with the vehicle in the vehicle.
A few cons of Impreza
- Subaru Impreza acceleration is a bit lesser.
- It is noisy on the highway and has no beeping sound like a backup to help the drivers in tight areas parking.
- Comfortable cabin– Subaru Outback offers comfortable legroom and headspace. The seats feature Nappa leather, while the heated rear and front seats extend to add comfort.
- Good cargo space- Subaru Outback has enough cargo space to accommodate comfort-related items and legroom. It has a 75.7 cubic feet maximum capacity, a hands-free liftgate, and enough room, making the Outback design easy to get supplies.
- Luxury interiors- Outback interiors look great and the infotainment screen offers quality design. The screen transforms lots of features and shouts freshness. Traditional buttons and knobs ensure to overwhelm the option of a touchscreen.
- Reliable- Subaru Outback is an investment. Snow, rain, mud, sleet, or ice, this all-wheel-drive are responsive. It is confident in the way the ride handles. It offers a clean and energetic ride that makes it perfect to drive through the Mojave Desert in summer and during winters in Minnesota.
A few cons of Outback
- Takes time to understand the infotainment system.
- Cabin noise is more on the highway.
WH (FAQs) Questions about Subaru Impreza vs Outback
Why is Subaru Impreza a good car?
Subaru Impreza is good because it is compact. It offers high safety and fuel economy. However, the sedan trunk is small and its acceleration lackluster.
What are some of the Subaru’s common issues?
The Subarus common issues include:
- Unintended acceleration
- Denso fuel pump failure
- Rodents chewing the soy wires of Subaru
- Subaru STARLINK issues
- Cracked Windshields
- CAN system battery drain
- Lineartronic CVT reliability
- Defect in Brake light switch
What is the best year of Subaru models?
CR and IIHS are the Subaru best models, and it includes Subaru Forester of 2016 or new, Subaru Impreza of 2014 and new Subaru Outback of 2014 and new models, Subaru Legacy 2013 and new, and Subaru Crosstrek of 2018 and new.
Which year did Subaru face problems with the head gasket?
The head gasket problems were in the model in 2006, but for the Baja. The head gasket Subaru problems in 2007 were also in every model, but for the Baja.
These problems affected 2010 the Subaru Impreza and Forester. The Impreza of 2011 was the model again that faced head gasket issues.
The Subaru 2.5 engine head gaskets fail between 100,000 and 150,000 miles, while most of them last for a longer time.
Which Subaru model is the best to purchase?
The top pick of the Subaru Forester is for 8 years. Subaru 2021 model is good, and Subaru Outback is reported to be the best wagon or SUV in the price range of $35000 to $45000.
What is the reason that even used Subarus are expensive?
Subarus, even the used ones are expensive as there are lots of plus points than other SUVs and cars.
The low maintenance costs, symmetric AWD system, flat engines, and safety features make it very expensive. Yet, many people do not mind paying and owning it.
What are the Subaru Outback worst years?
The 2013 Outback has seen the worst years and is regarded to be the worst model. The problem was due to excessive consumption of oil.
It occurred at 45,800 miles as average mileage, and the repair cost is $1590 on average.
Which is the fastest Subaru?
Among the lineup of Subaru, right now the WRX STI is the fastest that sprints in 4.5 seconds to 60 mph.
It is possible due to the 2.5-liter boxer engine.
Which is the year to avoid the Subaru Outback?
A: 2013 year should be avoided. The car complaints were in high numbers and most reported engine problems.
Why buy a Subaru?
Subaru Impreza and Outback are the toughest cars. They are well built and rugged that it runs smoothly on the road.
They have the best transmissions, engines, brakes, and suspension. Subaru models are the right choice in the durable option.
What is special with Subaru to make it a preferred choice?
Subarus’ design of safety is the first attraction.
It offers an all-wheel drive, stability control system, vehicle dynamics control, braking inputs, and automatically sensing steering to keep the vehicle on the intended path of the driver.
Subaru Impreza Vs Outback, the Impreza of the fifth generation is not in style as the STI and WRX kin. However, it is a valuable car with good features not available in many compact cars.
The 2022 model Impreza is available as sedan four-door and wagon five-door, and this is the least expensive model from the Subarus.
The Outback lineup will be rugged in the 2022 model boasting upgraded suspension, extra ground clearance, styling enhancements, all-terrain Yokohama tires presenting a brawnier image.
This model wilderness as standard comes with a roof rack to support 700 pounds, a four-cylinder engine, and interior upholstery waterproof.